7 Macquarie Place comprises a boutique A grade commerical office building with a stylish entrance and foyer providing modern and sophisticated services. Located 200m from Circular Quay, the building offers lower ground and basement retail areas, plus 12 levels of quality office accommodation, with the upper floor providing large and attractive garden terraces with views over Sydney Cove to the Opera House.
In front of the building lies Macquarie Place Park. This triangular plot of land is steeped in history and was a rare open space within the town that grew up at Sydney Cove after the first European settlement in 1788. The origin of the name is the street, now incorporated in the park, which ran from the Tank Stream Bridge to Kings Wharf. This triangle was surrounded by the residences of the Governor and civil officers (judge advocate, chaplain and surveyor) and by the store buildings. Governor Macquarie’s Doric fountain, designed by Francis Greenway, was demolished to make way for the statue of Thomas Sutcliffe Mort. He was a leading Sydney businessman in auctioneering and pastoral finance, owner of the largest commercial dry dock in Australia, a pioneer of frozen meat exports and a founder of the Australian Mutual Provident Society (AMP). He died in 1878 and the statue, by sculptor Pierce Francis Connelly, was erected in 1883. Source: City of Sydney